New Energy for Hayward's Future
I have been representing the citizens of Hayward for one year now and I very much enjoy working on your behalf. I thought it was time to take a look back on what I have been able to accomplish in this first year.
During the campaign I asked you to join with me to achieve 5 goals. Here is what we've done so far.
Make Hayward Safer
- Implemented a moratorium on internet gambling businesses and now seek permanent closure of existing ones.
- Supported HPD’s CALEA accreditation, the hiring of more police officers and the restoration of the downtown bike patrol.
- Supported the Social Nuisance Ordinance, which gives HPD a powerful, new tool for making neighborhoods safer.
- Eliminated the red light camera program and supported changes to the Police Patrol Plan to improve safety.
- Supported construction of a new Fire Station and Firehouse Health Center in South Hayward.
Bringing More Jobs & Shopping to Hayward
- Adopted a 5-year Economic Development Strategic Plan to grow the economy and tax base in Hayward.
- Revised the alcohol ordinance to allow happy hour at Hayward restaurants and to crack down on alcohol-serving businesses that create problems.
- Worked to reduce negative impacts of “the Loop” and responded to requests to increase store-front parking downtown.
- Supported new businesses (Big 5, Club Sport, 24-Hour Fitness) and housing developments in Hayward.
Make Hayward More Attractive
- Strongly supported the new Illegal Dumping Ordinance which has reduced illegal dumping on public property by 50%!
- Worked side-by-side with the Keep Hayward Clean and Green Volunteers and my family to reduce litter in Hayward.
- Continued to support the mural program and worked to expand it beyond the downtown.
- Supported new trees and landscape improvements along Industrial Blvd. that reduce water consumption.
Put Hayward on a Sustainable Path
- Was a leader in fully identify all of Hayward's "unfunded liabilities" and beginning the process of funding them over time.
- Implemented a county-wide plastic bag ban and increased recycling at businesses and multi-family properties.
- Saved Hayward water customers $ by restructuring Hayward Water System bonds.
- Supported city-wide installation of LED bulbs in existing street lights to reduce costs and make street lights brighter.
Make Hayward More Youth Friendly
- Supported expansion of the City’s successful after-school homework help program to more HUSD schools.
- Supported the development of a new library and community learning center. - Passed a moratorium on new Tobacco businesses while the City develops rules for Tobacco retailers.
- Protected senior-only mobile home parks to maintain lower-cost options for seniors.
I work for you, the citizens of Hayward. Feel free to contact me if you need assistance. I am always happy to meet with the people of our great city!
Make a Donation
Your support is very important to the success of my campaign. I am thankful for all donations big and small.
Graffiti? Street Light Out? Trash?
Report it online:
or Via your smartphone by downloading this app:
Vote June 3rd!
Vote by mail ballots will be sent
the first week in May.
Paid for by Al Mendall for Hayward 2012. FPPC ID#1340477. 30232 Brookside Lane, Hayward, CA 94544.