New Energy for Hayward's Future
I have been representing the citizens of Hayward for almost three years and I truly enjoy working on your behalf. Working together, we have already accomplished a great deal for the citizens of Hayward.
During the 2012 campaign, I asked you to join with me work on achieving five goals. I am proud to report that together we are making great progress! Below are just some of the things we have accomplished so far.
Make Hayward Safer
- Implemented a ban on internet gambling businesses and permanently closed all of the existing ones.
- Supported HPD’s CALEA accreditation and the hiring of more police officers and support staff.
- Made the popular downtown bike patrol permanent.
- Supported the Social Nuisance Ordinance, which gives HPD a powerful, new tool for making neighborhoods safer.
- Championed the acquisition of new crime-fighting technology like body-worn cameras for patrol officers; and license plate readers that recover stolen vehicles.
- Eliminated the ineffective red light camera program and supported changes to the Police Patrol Plan to improve safety.
- Supported construction of a new Fire Station and Firehouse Health Center in South Hayward.
Bringing More Jobs & Shopping to Hayward
- Adopted a 5-year Economic Development Strategic Plan to grow the economy and tax base in Hayward.
- Revised the alcohol ordinance to allow happy hour at Hayward restaurants, allow more restaurants downtown, and crack down on alcohol-serving businesses that create problems.
- Worked to reduce negative impacts of “the Loop” and responded to requests to increase on-street parking in the downtown.
- Proposed the creation of a Technology Innovation Corridor to attract more Advanced Industries companies and their high-paying jobs to Hayward.
- Supported policies that helped attract new businesses (like Big 5, CVS Pharmacy, 3 new fitness clubs, 11 new restaurants, and more) to Hayward.
- Unemployment in Hayward has fallen from 10+% to 5.6% in three years.
Make Hayward More Attractive
- Strongly supported the new Illegal Dumping Ordinance which has reduced illegal dumping by more than 50%!
- Worked side-by-side with the Keep Hayward Clean and Green volunteers and my family to reduce litter in Hayward.
- Continued to support the mural program and worked to expand it beyond the downtown.
- Supported new trees and landscape improvements along Industrial Blvd. and Winton Ave. that look great and save water.
Put Hayward on a Sustainable Path
- Was a leader in fully identifying Hayward's "unfunded liabilities" and beginning the process of funding them over time.
- Implemented a county-wide plastic bag ban and increased recycling at businesses and multifamily properties.
- Saved Hayward water customers $ by restructuring Hayward Water System bonds.
- Supported investments to convert Hayward's Water Treatment plant from the city's largest energy consumer into the city's largest generator of renewable energy.
- Supported city-wide installation of LED light bulbs in existing street lights to reduce costs and make street lights brighter
Make Hayward More Youth Friendly
- Supported the expansion of the City’s successful after-school homework help program to all HUSD schools.
- Supported the construction of a new library and community learning center - opening in 2017.
- Passed tough new Tobacco regulations to protect our youth.
- Proposed a new "destination park" at Mission & Valle Vista. The City is now partnering with HARD to acquire the land and money needed to build the park.
- Protected senior-only mobile home parks to maintain lower-cost options for seniors.
- Was a champion for Measure C which will hire police officers, build a new library, upgrade our fire stations, repair more roads and hire new maintenance workers to remove litter and grafitti.
I work for you, the citizens of Hayward. Feel free to contact me if you need assistance. I am always happy to meet with the people of our great city!
Make a Donation
Your support is very important to the success of my campaign. I am thankful for all donations big and small.
Water Waster? Graffiti? Street Light Out? Trash?
Report it online:
or Via your smartphone by downloading this app:
Paid for by Al Mendall for Hayward 2016. FPPC ID#1340477. 30232 Brookside Lane, Hayward, CA 94544.